Plumbing in the Home/Water well

Have a water well with sub pump,that is starting to bring in red sand. Get real bad if we water plant outside. Is there anything we can do ,we have a item called a sand hog that our water well guy said would help some with sand coming into house.just to much sand. Sand stops coming in if we don't water outside. Thanks. James Wells.

Sand is a very bad thing to have, since it will eventually eat the impellers in the pump to the point that they can't reach shut off pressure.  Then the pump will simply self destruct.  If you want to continue using the well, I can make you a filter that will trap it out before getting to the house, but trying to filter it out when irrigating will probably require a lot of backwashing to keep it clean.

There is no easy fix for sand.

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor

I am a Water Well Driller and Water Pump technician. I own a business in Riverview, Fl. We repair motors and pumps in shop and in the field. We repair and replace submersible and jet pumps, galvanized and bladder tanks, and their controls. Water filtration is another one of our specialties.

I started drilling and repairing wells and pumps with my dad in 1958 at the age of 13 years. I worked with him on weekends and in the summer when not in school. After graduating high school, I worked for my Dad until going into the Army in 1968. I spent three years in the Army then went back into the Well Drilling/Repair field.

Many Forums including my own.

High school and a few courses after getting out of the Army. They were offered on the GI Bill.