Plumbing in the Home/Bath drain line configuration

Future Basement Bath Area
Future Basement Bath A  
Hi Dana:

Check out the attached picture. This future basement bathroom was plumbed for a sink and toilet but not for a shower (which is now in the plans). The shower will be situated to the far right of the picture on a base to allow for the trap and with the vanity between the shower and the toilet. My question is (without knowing the exact distance): does it appear that I will have enough pitch to wrap around that wall and connect to the drain pipe (shown)? Also, do I need to make a drain run all the way or can I relay to the sink drain and then out to the plumbed drain? Thanks in advance.

Hi Kevin,
Getting enough fall for the shower depends on how high you set the shower.
The minimum fall allowed in most codes is 1/4" per foot for any pipe under 3" diameter. You might run into "headroom" issues with the shower.

These "plumbed for future" situations are always a challenge. They seldom work out well as plans often change. You must also consider venting.  The drainage system will not work if it's not properly vented. Like holding your finger on the end of a straw, it will only drain when you remove your finger and "vent" it to the atmosphere.

This project will need someone that knows what they are doing on-site to guide you. It does not really lend itself to email support.
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal