Plumbing in the Home/Plumbing

Question
My son just bought a home it was built in 1958. They are noticing
That when the tub empties the toilet gurgles and the tub is very slow to drain as is the kitchen sink. This morning the toilet didn't want to flush at all. Could this be a clogged line, the septic system needed to be pumped or tree lines through the pipes? Help!!!!

Answer
Hello Avonda,
Could be any of the above.  It is basic maintenance to have all the lines properly snaked every few years but few homeowners actually do that.  These pipes probably need at least that. That would be the first step.

If you are on a septic system, that should be checked by a specialist, typically someone that pumps systems.

The only way to tell if the main drains are damaged by trees is to have them checked with a special camera. Also, if the snaking brings up roots, it's a good sign that the pipes have been broken into by tree roots. Just cutting the roots out will only last about a month. They will grow back quickly with damaged or broken pipes. The only fix is to replace or reline the main sewer line.
Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick