Plumbing in the Home/Plumbing

My son just bought a home it was built in 1958. They are noticing
That when the tub empties the toilet gurgles and the tub is very slow to drain as is the kitchen sink. This morning the toilet didn't want to flush at all. Could this be a clogged line, the septic system needed to be pumped or tree lines through the pipes? Help!!!!

Hello Avonda,
Could be any of the above.  It is basic maintenance to have all the lines properly snaked every few years but few homeowners actually do that.  These pipes probably need at least that. That would be the first step.

If you are on a septic system, that should be checked by a specialist, typically someone that pumps systems.

The only way to tell if the main drains are damaged by trees is to have them checked with a special camera. Also, if the snaking brings up roots, it's a good sign that the pipes have been broken into by tree roots. Just cutting the roots out will only last about a month. They will grow back quickly with damaged or broken pipes. The only fix is to replace or reline the main sewer line.
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal