Plumbing in the Home/plumbing for dishwasher/disposal

I have a double sink, disposal and dishwasher.  Most times when I run the disposal, I get a backup of garbage in the other sink.  I know it shouldn't happen, but what so I do to correct the problem

Dear Maureen,

Chances are good that you have a partial blockage in the drain leading from the sinks.  I don't like to use drain opening chemicals but they might offer some help.  First though, I would try plugging the sinks on both sides with the stoppers.  You can use a rag if a stopper is missing. Then fill both sinks to the top with cold water.  Once they are full, release the water on both sinks at the same time.

The sudden flush of water through the pipe should wash out the food and greasy buildup that may be clogging the pipes... using cold water ensures that the greasy stuff will stay solid and get washed away... if it turns to liquid as with hot water, then it will just float on top and stay in the pipe.

Another tip is to feed waste into the garbage disposal slowly with it and the water running... that helps to make sure that the waste gets fully washed away and not build up into a clog.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler

I am experienced at troubleshooting and solving all types of plumbing problems. Issues related to specific manufacturers fixtures and specifications though are beyond my field of expertise. I have dealt with problems in both rural and urban areas, and with water supply and drainage systems. Plumbing issues can be very obscure... such as odors, stains or occasional seepage. I have even had to chase rats from a customer's sewer line.

I have 25 years experience dealing with plumbing systems (which also includes hot water and steam heating systems). My main expertise is in diagnosing and solving problems. I have worked in construction and installation of new systems but do not regard myself as an expert in that area.

Asbury Park Press, Seattle Times, Denver Post.

I completed high school and one year of college. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and have education in electronic and electrical troubleshooting and repair. I have attended classes on installing and repair of oil burners, and I have EPA universal certification for air conditioning and refrigeration. I am now enrolled as a full-time student at Everest college to re-train for a new career. Any donations of financial support would be greatly appreciated.

All of Denny's Restaurants in NJ, Several Burger King stores, I have done work at two different homes for Bruce Springsteen. I have also worked for Jim Johnson (of J&J) and his family, Whitney Houston, Steve Forbes and many others.