Plumbing in the Home/root x

Question
QUESTION: hi..have a question about root x. i have read online that to use it, you have to be a plumber. is that correct? if so, why do you have to be a plumber to use it? thank you!

ANSWER: Dear James,

The company that manufactures RootX decided that for liability reasons they would only sell the product to professionals.-  It is a product which contains chemicals which could be harmful or damaging if they were misused.  (At least that is my opinion about the reason why, if you want a definitive answer you would have to ask the company).

However, if you want to get rid of roots in your sewer pipes, there are several products on the market that can be obtained at any retail home supply store.  

QUESTION: hi again and thank you for letting me know this info. i am wondering about the products you mentioned; do you have any in particular that you feel are any better then the others?  with so many things you can buy, you wonder what really works and what doesnt. thank you again!  :-)

Answer
Dear James,

I won't suggest a specific brand name of a product... but look for something with Copper Sulfate as the primary ingredient.  In my opinion, the best products are those that have a foaming agent which will cause the product to foam and fill the entire pipe.  This is important because the roots grow in from the top of the pipe usually, and since the water flow stays mostly in the bottom third of the pipe it could easily wash away the product without reaching the roots.

The ones that I have used in the past were applied by combining two separate powders, then either flushing them down a toilet or adding them directly to the pipe.  You want to put the stuff in as close to the problem as possible.  Then activate the stuff by adding some water if necessary.

Then it is important to give the stuff time to work.  That means applying it at a time when little or no water will be used for some hours.  

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler