Plumbing in the Home/Rough-in Bathroom Plumbing

Question
Dear Dana,

We are buying a new home from a builder. The home has a 3-piece plumbing rough-in (for full bathroom). What we see in that room are two drain pipes. Should the incoming water piping be included in the rough-in? Should the electrical wiring for the vent fan included?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Cindy

Answer
Hi Cindy,
I assume this is a basement bathroom set up. That is the most common "future rough-in" I see.

The waste lines are a bit more flexible in their location however water lines need to be pretty precisely located and if they were pre-plumbed and stubbed out they might not match what you ultimately choose to install.

As an example,the water lines are stubbed out differently for a pedestal lavatory then they would be for a sink mounted in a vanity.
Also, the control valves for a stall shower would be mounted at a different height then those supplying a tub / shower.

I would think there should be at least a hot and cold water supply stubbed in somewhere with shut off valves that could then be extended to the locations as needed for your fixtures. A bathroom vent fan is optional depending on the building code in your area. While nice to have, it may not be mandatory.

It is not that difficult for a plumber and electrician to bring these services to the area of your bathroom as needed since I assume it has not been built out yet.
Good luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick