Plumbing in the Home/sump pump

Hi , my sump pump has turned on and wont shut off.It pumps water out and the float works but just wont shut off.I noticed that water is shoting out of a small / valve(?) at the base of the pump. It also seems to run then when water gets above the opening/shoting water. the pump starts pumping water out again .then it just continues the cycle.....what wrong

Dear Kris,

This sounds like a problem with the float switch.  The switch is allowing the pump to turn on, and that part is working fine, but the switch is also responsible for turning the pump off and that part is not working.

If your float switch is a separate one then you can replace it easily with a new float switch.  If your switch is built on or part of the pump housing then you will probably need to replace the pump.

The other possibility, since you mention the water shooting out is that maybe there is a clog in the pipe where the water goes out from the house.  If this is the case, then you'll need to unclog the pipe.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler

I am experienced at troubleshooting and solving all types of plumbing problems. Issues related to specific manufacturers fixtures and specifications though are beyond my field of expertise. I have dealt with problems in both rural and urban areas, and with water supply and drainage systems. Plumbing issues can be very obscure... such as odors, stains or occasional seepage. I have even had to chase rats from a customer's sewer line.

I have 25 years experience dealing with plumbing systems (which also includes hot water and steam heating systems). My main expertise is in diagnosing and solving problems. I have worked in construction and installation of new systems but do not regard myself as an expert in that area.

Asbury Park Press, Seattle Times, Denver Post.

I completed high school and one year of college. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and have education in electronic and electrical troubleshooting and repair. I have attended classes on installing and repair of oil burners, and I have EPA universal certification for air conditioning and refrigeration. I am now enrolled as a full-time student at Everest college to re-train for a new career. Any donations of financial support would be greatly appreciated.

All of Denny's Restaurants in NJ, Several Burger King stores, I have done work at two different homes for Bruce Springsteen. I have also worked for Jim Johnson (of J&J) and his family, Whitney Houston, Steve Forbes and many others.