You are here:

Plumbing in the Home/Toilet flushing sound when not in use


I have the same problem as "Barbara". My toilet makes a flushing sound and the water moves in the bowl when no one is using it. I recently had a plumber install new guts - fluidmaster. Since then, he has come back and installed a new flapper, but it is still doing the same thing... and more often. Now it's every few minutes; as opposed to hours. Is there anything else I can do? Thank you!

ANSWER: Kathy, usually a new flapper will do the trick. BUT..there are certain brand toilets that require brand specific flappers. Kohler and Elger are two of them. One thing you need to be sure of, when the plumber installed the fluid master, did he cut the fill tube that goes into the overflow tube  in the tank? it is absolutely essential that the small tube has an air gap and it is not stuffed into the overflow tube too far. Fluidmaster provides a tube clip that attaches to the tube then clips onto the overflow. it is necessary that it be installed to stop any siphon action. These two issues, the tube and the flapper, are 99% of the problems like yours. As for the flapper, I have never found a better aftermarket flapper better that the Korky brand. The will not take the place of a Kohler or Elger though.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Thank you for the quick response. I'm not sure what he did, and the toilet doesn't have a name on it either! But what I did figure out is that the flapper is not sitting right after you flush. I moved it to completely cover the hole, and it stopped. But I really don't want to have to keep doing that, so there must be a way to adjust the flapper???
Thanks, Jay

There are two  ways in which the flappers are attached. They either slip over the fill tube  using the integral rubber ring or they are attached using the two rubber "ears" that are on the ends of the flapper. Use must use one or the other , NOT both. If you toilet flush valve has little  posts that the flapper attaches to, use these and cut off the rubber ring. There will be  indicators on the flapper as to where to cut them. Once the flapper is installed, twist it left or right to center it over the large hole the water passes through.  

Plumbing in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jay Nicholas


Plumbing & Heating (warm air, hot water & steam heat)


40 years in the business, 40 years as a lic. master plumber in NY State. Retired

Graduated Magna cum laude at the School of Hard Knocks

Past/Present Clients
Commercial, residential and light industrial. You name it ...I have probably worked on it

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]