Plumbing in the Home/Will Iron in Water Corrode HW Tank.

QUESTION: Hello - Would you be able to help with this?  We live in a rural area and have a well.  We have iron in our water and since having an aerator type thing put in for sulphur smell (which works - no more smell ) we can see the rust color in our water.  One sink started to drip and after time, the rust color showed in the bottom of the sink.  We replaced the cartridge thing in the tap to fix the leak. At that time, we noticed how corroded any metal parts were inside the tap (like the screen where the water comes out of the tap, etc)

So, my question:  is there a valve or part on a hot water tank that could corrode and cause the tank to empty itself with no warning?  We have no basement so the water heater is in a closet on main level of the house. The tank is about six years old now.  I lay awake worrying about this :/

Thanks for any help you can provide and or volunteering on this great site.

ANSWER: The iron in your water can be removed with an Iron Filter.  Iron will not corrode anything, but it will coat and stain.  Your plumbing will get smaller over the years if it's galvanized or copper.  Most plastic piping is sort of immune to this problem.

The fact that you have an airation system for Sulphur Gas, makes removal of the iron possible without using any chemicals.  The aeration oxidizes the iron so it can be trapped.  

I do sell Iron Filters if you're in the market.

QUESTION: Sorry I did not mention we have an iron filter.  Even with the filter, there is still a rusty stain where the tap drips but it takes at least a few weeks to appear (after I clean the rust away).  Thanks very much for the info that the iron is coating and staining rather than corroding. Plus the info about the pipes (we have plastic).

Thanks again for the quick response :)

It's practically impossible to get 100% of the iron out of your water with any kind of filter.  And for some reason, a dripping faucet is where you will see the biggest accumulation like you mentioned.  What is really good for dissolving those stains is Iron Out. That's a brand name and there are other brands out there.  Water softener cleaner is the same thing.  You get the stain wet, sprinkle this powder on the stain and it will dissolve the iron.

If you would like to visit our Website for more info than you ever wanted to know about well water, visit  

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor

I am a Water Well Driller and Water Pump technician. I own a business in Riverview, Fl. We repair motors and pumps in shop and in the field. We repair and replace submersible and jet pumps, galvanized and bladder tanks, and their controls. Water filtration is another one of our specialties.

I started drilling and repairing wells and pumps with my dad in 1958 at the age of 13 years. I worked with him on weekends and in the summer when not in school. After graduating high school, I worked for my Dad until going into the Army in 1968. I spent three years in the Army then went back into the Well Drilling/Repair field.

Many Forums including my own.

High school and a few courses after getting out of the Army. They were offered on the GI Bill.