Plumbing in the Home/three handle tub and shower

Question
I'm not sure I will have to write all of the information pertaining to the problem. My question is: can hot water flow through to the cold side of the a 3 handle tub and shower valve. It's a gerber I changed the stems and the chrome etc.

This has come into question since this is a condo building with 12 one bedroom units the next door neighbor got the idea that my unit is causing the problem because I capped off the tub spout when I removed the tub and installed a shower. this was done about 9 years ago. about 3 years ago we had water line work done where I believe the plumber crossed a line or something. there were no problems prior to water line work.

Since I no longer live there and lease the property, the theory is that the tenant is shutting the water off using the center valve only enabling the hot or cold to cross in the pipe some how. I know this is not an easy description to envision but I hope it makes sense enough to make a determination.

Answer
Dear Gene,

Yes, it is very possible for hot water to cross to the cold side through the mixing valve.  The idea makes very good sense too....  if I found just the right setting for my hot and cold faucets and could turn the shower on or off with just the one handle and not have to make adjustments to the temperature I would probably do that too.

The hot water side typically is at a higher water pressure than the cold side, so if another cold water tap is opened then the hot water would flow through and mix with the rest of the system.

It is just as likely that a mistake was made with the changes in the piping so some more investigation is called for.  

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler