Plumbing in the Home/WASHING MACHINE HOSES

Question
Hi  Thomas,

I attempted to replace my washing machine hoses yesterday.  The cold water hose was a snap, no problem.  I turned off the water supply at the wall.  I attempted to replace the hot water hose and that's when I encountered the problem.  The connection was extremely tight so I sprayed some nut and bolt penetrator.  
I loosened the fitting with a pair of vise grips and even though I turned off the water supply for the hot water as I slowly unscrewed the wall connection the water pressure continued to built up and water came out of the hose like I had turned the supply back on.  Everytime I would start to loosen the connection the water would start flowing out faster.  I finally gave up and retightened the old hose.  My question is what would cause this?  Secondly do I have to shut off the house water supply to replace this hose.  I know it seems crazy to have to shutoff the house water supply, but I shut off the water supply to the washer itself and it seemed to do no good.  Any suggestions are very welcomed.  Thanks.

Answer
Hey Tom,

This is a common problem.  The hot water side has a tendency to have a lot of mineral buildup.  This happens in the hose fittings as well as inside the valves.  You could try to shut off the hot water at the water heater if there is a shutoff there.  If not, then you can turn off the main water supply.  Then, what I have done in the past is to turn on the washing machine on it's fill cycle... this relieves any pressure on the hoses.  Then I quickly disconnect the hoses and turn off the washing machine.

The hot water valve for the washing machine may have alot of buildup in it, so it may continue to drip, you may want to attach a new hose and run the water for a bit into a bucket or something... working the valve open and closed as you do.  This should break loose the mineral deposits and improve the functioning of the valve.  

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler