Plumbing in the Home/Hague water system

Question
we have a Hague whole house water filtration system with softner.  We have the system serviced annually, & always keep the salt filled.  Our annual service is more each year and approaching $500.  I've read some posts that some folks have said they just add salt & that's pretty much it.  Are annual services necessary or is it a $ game?  thoughts?  thanks

Answer
Dear Cindy and Joe,

I need to preface my reply by telling you that I know nothing about the Hague company or any particulars about their systems, therefore my answer is based on my general understanding of water treatment systems.

I am a big fan of water purification, and I understand that softening systems are necessary sometimes. These systems can be very simple or very high-tech.  In addition to filtration and softening, some systems include ultra-violet treatment which kills organic contamination in the water.  

You may want to ask the contractor who normally does the maintenance for a detailed list of what you are paying for.... that is a perfectly legitimate and reasonable request.  Then, you can decide if there are any parts of the system that you can maintain yourself in order to save some money.  There may be some aspects of the system though that are beyond the abilities of a homeowner to maintain and so the cost could be justified.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler