Plumbing in the Home/leaky toilet

our toilet is leaking around the base, and we have already tried to replace the wax seal twice but it's still not working. can i just spread wax around the base of the toilet to stop the water from leaking out? what should i do?

Dear Kairi,

This is a pretty common problem and many homeowners think the same thing about sealing the water in so that it can't come out from under the toilet.

The problem is that the water is coming out onto the floor, if it doesn't dry completely, then the water will eventually destroy the floor beneath the toilet.  So, sealing it in is not a good idea.  There is some reason why it is leaking.... perhaps the pipe flange is cracked or broken and needs to be replaced.

There are many possible reasons why it would be leaking... the reason needs to be found out and fixed to avoid bigger problems later on.  

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler

I am experienced at troubleshooting and solving all types of plumbing problems. Issues related to specific manufacturers fixtures and specifications though are beyond my field of expertise. I have dealt with problems in both rural and urban areas, and with water supply and drainage systems. Plumbing issues can be very obscure... such as odors, stains or occasional seepage. I have even had to chase rats from a customer's sewer line.

I have 25 years experience dealing with plumbing systems (which also includes hot water and steam heating systems). My main expertise is in diagnosing and solving problems. I have worked in construction and installation of new systems but do not regard myself as an expert in that area.

Asbury Park Press, Seattle Times, Denver Post.

I completed high school and one year of college. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and have education in electronic and electrical troubleshooting and repair. I have attended classes on installing and repair of oil burners, and I have EPA universal certification for air conditioning and refrigeration. I am now enrolled as a full-time student at Everest college to re-train for a new career. Any donations of financial support would be greatly appreciated.

All of Denny's Restaurants in NJ, Several Burger King stores, I have done work at two different homes for Bruce Springsteen. I have also worked for Jim Johnson (of J&J) and his family, Whitney Houston, Steve Forbes and many others.