Plumbing in the Home/Brushed nickel fixture water spots

Question
In two bathrooms I have new Moen tub/shower and shower fixtures that are brushed nickel.  No leaks.  I have a water softener and both the hot and cold water in both bathrooms is softened.  There are ugly water spots on the brushed nickel that don't want to come off.  I have talked to Moen and I did what they said but the spots are still there.  Moen suggested to use dish detergent mixed with  water with a soft cloth to clean them first, then put a light, light layer of good car wax on them.  Wait to dry and then buff.  They said that should help to keep the water spotting down.  It didn't work well.  The brushed nickel fixtures are  beautiful when they come new out of the box, but after the water hits them, they are very unattractive when dry.  Other than wiping them off every time before stepping out of the shower, do you have any suggestions to properly get rid of the water spots currently on the fixtures?  I am willing to try something as a "trial" where I could maybe put it just on the inside of one of the faucets where it doesn't show.  That way I could tell if it worked or not.  Thanks for whatever you can share.
Rose

Answer
Hey Rose,
You really have me thinking on this one, LOL!  What I maybe would try would be like a water sealer or an oil to help keep off any spots.  I may even consider trying some WD-40 which has 101 uses, again it is a veggie oil base and will not hurt anything.  Just know that it may darken the look some.  Other than that, next to trying a hard water toilet bowl cleaner to clean off the water spots I don't know what else to tell you to try.
I hope this helps and good luck!
Carolyn

Plumbing in the Home

Carolyn