Plumbing in the Home/dripping faucets

Hi Thomas,

I disconnected my washer machine's intake hoses in order to replace the small hose filters, and noticed the faucets are dripping even when closed tight. How can I fix this situation?

Thank you in advance,

Dear Rick,

Your faucets are an old "Gate" style valve...  on washing machines especially these valves build up minerals from having water standing still with the valve open and under pressure.  Another possible cause would be erosion which occurs from water running over soft metal.  The best solution is to replace the valves, but you can try tightening the packing nuts which are just beneath the valve handles and can become loose over time.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler

I am experienced at troubleshooting and solving all types of plumbing problems. Issues related to specific manufacturers fixtures and specifications though are beyond my field of expertise. I have dealt with problems in both rural and urban areas, and with water supply and drainage systems. Plumbing issues can be very obscure... such as odors, stains or occasional seepage. I have even had to chase rats from a customer's sewer line.

I have 25 years experience dealing with plumbing systems (which also includes hot water and steam heating systems). My main expertise is in diagnosing and solving problems. I have worked in construction and installation of new systems but do not regard myself as an expert in that area.

Asbury Park Press, Seattle Times, Denver Post.

I completed high school and one year of college. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and have education in electronic and electrical troubleshooting and repair. I have attended classes on installing and repair of oil burners, and I have EPA universal certification for air conditioning and refrigeration. I am now enrolled as a full-time student at Everest college to re-train for a new career. Any donations of financial support would be greatly appreciated.

All of Denny's Restaurants in NJ, Several Burger King stores, I have done work at two different homes for Bruce Springsteen. I have also worked for Jim Johnson (of J&J) and his family, Whitney Houston, Steve Forbes and many others.