Plumbing in the Home/Dripping washer faucets

Hi Dana,

Here's my question with the image of the faucets (I had forgotten to attach the pics in my previous email).

I disconnected my washer machine's intake hoses in order to replace the small hose filters, and noticed the faucets are dripping even when closed tight. How can I fix this situation?

Thank you in advance,

Hi Rick,
It is most likely the bonnet nuts, the ones directly under the handles around the stems. When they are not used frequently, the packing "takes a set" and doesn't seal like it should when you open or close the valve.

The fix is fairly easy. When looking down at the valve from the top, back off the bonnet not a little bit by turning counterclockwise then turning it back clockwise to snug it up. I can see on the left (hot side) a lot of build up which indicates that this bonnet packing has been leaking for a while.
Good Luck

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal