Plumbing in the Home/Dripping washer faucets

Question
faucets
faucets  
Hi Dana,

Here's my question with the image of the faucets (I had forgotten to attach the pics in my previous email).

I disconnected my washer machine's intake hoses in order to replace the small hose filters, and noticed the faucets are dripping even when closed tight. How can I fix this situation?

Thank you in advance,

Rick

Answer
Hi Rick,
It is most likely the bonnet nuts, the ones directly under the handles around the stems. When they are not used frequently, the packing "takes a set" and doesn't seal like it should when you open or close the valve.

The fix is fairly easy. When looking down at the valve from the top, back off the bonnet not a little bit by turning counterclockwise then turning it back clockwise to snug it up. I can see on the left (hot side) a lot of build up which indicates that this bonnet packing has been leaking for a while.
Good Luck
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick