Plumbing in the Home/Plumbing

Question
When building a new home on peer and beam, when do I stub up the plumbing?

Answer
Hi Michael,
In my construction days, we would typically hang the rough plumbing shortly after they rolled the joists (and I had something to hang the pipes to) and had everything blocked and stable. I liked to wait to stub up until after they sheeted the floor and snapped the wall lines so I knew I was inside the wall. This avoids the problems of last-minute changes in the wall layout and ending up with your stub outs outside of the wall. In residential construction, things DO change and the plans are merely a suggestion! LOL

At that point I would drill for my stub outs and then stub up the waste lines 2-1/2 to 3" above the subfloor and then cap them off for test. This way the stub outs did not interfere with building/standing the walls. (Walls are typically built flat on the deck and then stood up into place. Often, exterior cladding is installed as well while the wall is still on the floor.)

The next phase, called the top out, happened after all of the framing is done, including the roof framing. Again, at this point, I would hold back my vent stub outs until they sheeted the roof. After the roof is sheeted, I would make my penetrations and loosely drop on the flashings. From that point on,the roofer would take care of fastening down the flashings and incorporate them into the underlayment and roofing.
Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick