Plumbing in the Home/Plumbing

When building a new home on peer and beam, when do I stub up the plumbing?

Hi Michael,
In my construction days, we would typically hang the rough plumbing shortly after they rolled the joists (and I had something to hang the pipes to) and had everything blocked and stable. I liked to wait to stub up until after they sheeted the floor and snapped the wall lines so I knew I was inside the wall. This avoids the problems of last-minute changes in the wall layout and ending up with your stub outs outside of the wall. In residential construction, things DO change and the plans are merely a suggestion! LOL

At that point I would drill for my stub outs and then stub up the waste lines 2-1/2 to 3" above the subfloor and then cap them off for test. This way the stub outs did not interfere with building/standing the walls. (Walls are typically built flat on the deck and then stood up into place. Often, exterior cladding is installed as well while the wall is still on the floor.)

The next phase, called the top out, happened after all of the framing is done, including the roof framing. Again, at this point, I would hold back my vent stub outs until they sheeted the roof. After the roof is sheeted, I would make my penetrations and loosely drop on the flashings. From that point on,the roofer would take care of fastening down the flashings and incorporate them into the underlayment and roofing.
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal