Plumbing in the Home/Washing Machine

Question
Hi Tom,

I hope you are having a good day.

I'm writing from Australia & need some advice.

My water pipe makes a noise when I'm working my washing machine. The washing machine rattles my plumbing, only when it closes its valves & not when its washing or spinning the clothes
It is a front loader & uses only cold water when washing.

I do not hear a noise in the pipes when I open my taps or use the dishwasher. Its only when I work the washing machine that a rattling sound is hear.

Would I be able to do a quick fix to resolve this problem or would I need to call a plumber to fix it.
Your advice in this matter would be appreciated.

Cheers
John

Answer
Cheers John,

I'm pleased to be hearing from down under..... you don't really need a pro for this fix.  The pipes are moving in response to the pressure change when the valve closes.  So you merely need to trace the water supply pipe from the washer to where it connects to the rest of the house and secure the pipe to whatever studs are available.  (That is the 2x4's). You can use plastic connectors if you like or copper ones... steel based ones are not a good idea because of electrolysis.  

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler