Plumbing in the Home/expansion tank

Question
Mr. Ambler -
About 18 months ago I installed a new 40 gallon electric water heater. I immediately had pressure increases on my plumbing. I installed a small (1 gallon?) Watts expansion tank - which isn't very close to the heater. It is maybe 10 - 12 feet away from the tank. It worked well for about a year. But now it isn't working. The pressure coming from the faucets is VERY strong for about 20 seconds and then returns to normal. I went down there and measured the pressure on it, and it was about 35 PSI. The label says 20 psi pre charged and 80 psi max. The pressure relief valve on the heater itself doesn't not appear to be getting triggered. The temperature setting on the water heater itself is quite low. I can hold my hand in the stream of hot water without discomfort. The pressure regulator from the street water source was replaced a few years ago, and I believe it is fine. No problem there. I upper the pressure in the expansion tank to 70, but i think that may have been a mistake.  Any ideas?  Thank you very much sir.

Answer
Dear Bill,

The expansion tank is the correct solution to the problem.  See when cold water is heated it increases in pressure and without sufficient room for the expansion it will come out of the faucet with suprising force.

The expansion tank needs to be checked.... this is done by removing the tank from the system and then checking the pressure in the bladder.  You may need 40 to 60 lbs of air to offset the expansion of your water, but once it is properly set it should work well for quite some time.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler