Plumbing in the Home/Leaking shower diverter

Question
Hi Dana,

My bathtub has the typical three handle water knobs.  When I turn it to shower some water runs out of the spout- not a drip but a steady stream.  A few percent of the shower flow.

I have replaced numerous washers and a valve seat to no effect.

I can't find diverter.  Is it in the spout? I am hesitant about removing this years old spout since there is potential for damaging the joint that the it screws into.  Could I instead insert a flexible something like a drain opener coil  into the spout and knock the diverter loose?

Am I worried about about a problem that is unlikely to occur or should I go ahead and replace it?  I am pretty good at this stuff (except for tile work) but I expect even a professional could potentially damage the joint while starting to unscrew it.

If it was your tub what would you do?

Thanks,
Richard

Answer
Hello Richard,
On a three-handle set up, the center handle is the diverter. It has a stem, seats and washers just like the hot and cold. Obviously, the center stem is going to be a bit different but still a conventional compression type stem nonetheless. I would recommend replacing the stem and the seats for the diverter to resolve your problem.
Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick