Plumbing in the Home/lubing a kitchen faucet


Hi, I have a Delta single handle kitchen faucet. I want to lube the inside parts. the main part inside is that hollow metal ball with the little stem that sticks out. My question is, if I lube the bottom of that ball so it moves around easier, does the lube get into the water coming out of the faucet?  I have always thought it might, so I always used vegetable oil so at least it was something consumable. Now I want to use some WD40 silicone spray lube that dries on.

Hi Dave,
I would highly recommend AGAINST using WD-40, it may be toxic.
There are specific,food grade lubricants designed for this use. It is typically labeled "stem grease". Nonstandard lubricants like WD-40 or even cooking oil may attack the rubber seals and O-rings and cause a premature failure. Contact Delta customer service and ask them what they recommend.

Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dana Bostick


Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.


Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Awards and Honors
Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Past/Present Clients
Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal

©2017 All rights reserved.