Plumbing in the Home/Reducing size of gas piping, what is the fitting?

Question
Hi Dana,

In black iron piping, how does one correctly reduce the size of a pipe?  Is the fitting called a reducing coupling?  I have also heard of bushings but those are not recommended as I understand.

Also, I can't find on homedepot or lowes, a reducing coupling that would take 1" down to 1/2".  They do have 1" to 3/4", then 3/4" to 1/2".  Have you heard of any reducers to take 1" to 1/2"?

Thanks,
Thomas

Answer
Hi Thomas,
On the surface, that seems an odd set up if you have to reduce a 1 inch pipe down to half-inch. The proper fitting is called a "Bell reducer". If you cannot find one in black iron pipe, a galvanize fitting will do.

If this is supposed to be a branch line, then a reducing tee is the proper fitting. Plumbing fittings are "called" in the following format: Run X Run X Branch.  Tee fittings come in many configurations; 1 X 1 X 1/2, 1 X 3/4 X 1 Etc.

Having said all of that, the gas piping system is a tricky beast. It must be correctly sized to avoid starving the appliance load at the end of the line of any branch. The consequences of improperly sizing a water piping system are just poor performance and low water flow at the end. In the case of a gas piping system, starving the load will cause it to malfunction and possibly create excessive carbon monoxide. CO is a silent killer. Make sure your know it you're doing before you just willy-nilly alter the gas piping system.
Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick