Plumbing in the Home/Toilet leak

Question
I cannot seem to turn off the water to my toilet to fix a leak.  The brand is Sterling and the problem is the small white circle on the shut off valve turns freely and never seems to have an effect on the water.  This is a new house.  Is there some different way to turn off the water for this brand?   I have noticed most shut off valves on,y turns a few times before the water turns on or off.  This wheel turns many, many times!  Thanks fr any help you may be able to give me!

Answer
Hey Kathy,
Do you have a warranty on your home is my first question to make the builder come back and make this repair?  Sounds like you have a defective valve, it should NOT continue to turn with no effect.  You should have another main water shutoff valve some where at the front end of  the water line, like where it enters the home or it may be at the street where your meter is located and you may have to call the city to have them come out and shut it off while you make the repair.  Are you on a basement or a crawl space?  If a basement, locating the main should be easier.  They make homes so cheaply these days that they may not have even put one in but you need to have one put in if this is the case.  Let me know what else I can do to help!
Thanks,
Carolyn

Plumbing in the Home

Carolyn