Plumbing in the Home/Comparing Kitchen Faucet Models

Question
Hello Dana -
Thank you in advance for your feedback. We're in the middle of a kitchen renovation, and need to purchase a new kitchen faucet. We've visited our local showrooms and the big box stores, and have narrowed our choices to two Blanco models. My question is this: the woman at one of the showrooms told us to not compare the faucets they sell to the faucets available through Home Depot because the inner parts are different. She said even though the faucets look the same and have the same name, those sold through Home Depot will have inferior parts to the ones she sells. That made sense to me, until I did some research and realized that the model numbers found on Blanco's website were the same as the model numbers at Home Depot (as were the product descriptions). In light of this, I can't imagine Blanco would make two different faucets yet use the same model number.

Am I wrong on this? Do you have any insight to share?

Thank you - Kelly

Answer
Hello Kelly,
Like with many products, Home Depot and other big-box stores have their "House" brands. I believe Home Depot's are called "Glacier Bay". In my experience, they are typically a cheaper knockoff version imported from offshore. (What isn't these days?)

Since I am no longer a working plumber, I'm not familiar with all of the various brands that are available.
Personally, I prefer to stick with the name brands like Price Pfister, Kohler, American Standard, Moen, Delta and some of the European imports like Grohe. I find their quality is much better although the price is considerably higher.  The payoff is in the longevity. If you want real quality, go for the "commercial grade" stuff from American Standard and the like. American Standard is pretty much the go to fixture for restaurants etc. that can tolerate high-volume use and abuse and continue to function properly.

Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick