Plumbing in the Home/Gas line and fireplace

Question
QUESTION: Hi
I have a wood burning fireplace that I just had a plumber run a gas line through a hole
He had drilled through the inside of my brick fire box. So I could use gas with ventless logs or wood.
The pipe with a attached elbow angling down is about 1/2" sticking out from the hole in the brick.
The fireplace contractor inspected and stated the pipe needs to be sticking out
From the brick another 2" to easily be able to have a connector attached for the
Ventless logs.
The plumber disagrees.  How far out should the gas pipe stick out from the hole inside the brick fireplace?
Thank you

ANSWER: Hello Kay,
There really is not specification per se`.  It's often personal preference of the person needing to work on it.  Not a big deal to stub it out a bit farther.  Seems like the plumber was trying to keep it tight for looks and so it did not interfere with any appliance you decided to add.  Many appliances will have a "rough-in" diagram if special requirements are needed.
Best,
Dana

Gas pipe
Gas pipe  

Gas pipe
Gas pipe  
QUESTION: Hi
Another question please

To make the fire starter , The plumber connected 4' of smaller size gas pipe to the existing larger gas pipe that used to be used for a gas oven.   The gas oven was removed and is being
Replaced with an electric oven.  He also cut through the wood to make room for the new gas pipes which will be dry walled over.
Is it safe and to code in CA to add smaller gas pipes to larger ones?
Thank you

See pics

Answer
Hello Kay,
No, this is not a problem. For a gas system, the important factor is the demand in gas volume of whatever is being connected to the pipe. A gas log lighter is a fairly low demand, not that much different from the gas oven so there really shouldn't be any problem.

Hopefully, the plumber installed the proper, loose key operated gas valve. This type of valve is mounted inside the wall on the piping and there is an adjustable depth, chrome escutcheon that attaches over the valve stem that sticks out of the finished wall. It comes with a separate key that is inserted into the escutcheon to engage the valve stem and turn it off or on and then can be removed for safety. This prevents children from operating the gas valve when unsupervised.

Best,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick