Plumbing in the Home/Pressure problem with dual line Dayton,Teel systems surface jet well pump

Question
I recently replaced a very old 1/4hp whirlpool dual line surface jet well pump that had failed with a 1hp Dayton Teel Systems dual line pump. The Dayton pump was given to me in payment for other work rendered. It appears to be in next to new shape. I believe it was used as a swimming pool pump as it had a fitting looping the draw line with the return line. I removed this fitting and connected the pump as a dual line pump would be connected. The old pump was mounted on a bladder less tank and ran for more than 50 years without a problem. It was equipped with a 20-40psi pressure switch. I mounted the new Dayton pump on the old bladder less tank for ease of installation,and cost savings for the elderly home owner. I was unfamiliar with bladder less tanks,so I researched and learned that they need to be 1/2 full of water before starting,and may not exceed 75psi. I made sure the tank was half full,primed the new pump. It also has a 20-40psi pressure switch. I fired up the pump and it pumps water immediately,but it will only reach 30psi.,so it won't shut off. When I shut off the power the system will hold 30 psi,so I know the foot valve is holding. There is an adjustment screw between the draw line and supply line to the tank that I have not touched,as I feel this may control flow,but pressure should be reached with all spigots closed. I'm stumped. I would appreciate your insight into making the system work properly.
  I have no objections to a public response,but I ask that you also respond directly to my email address.
         Thank you for your time.    Mark

Answer
It sounds like you have plugged the nozzle in the ejector which is down in the well.  Some have been lucky and forced water down the suction pipe and flushed the debris out of the nozzle to waste.  But most of the time, the ejector (jet) will have to be pulled and cleaned or changed.  Along with changing the jet, it's always a good idea to change all the pipe in the well to prevent more crud from plugging the jet again.

When using a standard tank, you let all the water out before starting the pump.  The more air the better.

There is no email address to respond to.

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor