Plumbing in the Home/septic tank sewage

Question
We had our 4 bedroom home built 9 years ago, we have a septic system that is located within a few feet from the outside kitchen and bedroom walls. Lately, we have been plagued with a strong "potty" smell in our bedroom and closet. We use Rid-X monthly but we have not had our system plumped out since we built the house. There are only 2 adults living here. The foundation of our home is cement- I don't know if that's important or not. The smell usually lasts for about one week. I try to spray the area with odor eliminating sprays- that helps a little.
My husband noticed that there are numerous cracks in our cement floor( we had to remove some floor covering); I was wondering if maybe some drainage from the sewer was infiltrating our cement foundation under the carpet and causing the stench. What do you advise?

Answer
Mystery! you will just have to nose around until you locate the source. Start outside and see if there is a odor lingering about as it very likely could be a malfunctioning septic system or leech lines.
If the ONLY place your ever get the odor is inside the house then the cause would certainly indicate a problem in your drain waste and vent piping none of which are good news. Sometimes there may be a trap in the home that is for a seldom used fixture and after a period of time the water evaporates (this would be good news because all you need do is add water frequently) and allows the sewer gases to enter the living space. Is there any fixture that you do not use often....for instance if you had a shower that was seldom or never used the water would eventually evaporate out of that shower trap and allow the odorous gases to enter the living space. Sometimes there is a floor drain installed (like for instance in a laundry room) that does not have a trap primer (trap primer is a device that assures a trap gets water periodically) attached to it even though code requires it. You simply have to investigate and find the source.

Plumbing in the Home

Cortez (cort) Cate