Plumbing in the Home/Toilet flushing problem

Question
View of tank inside
View of tank inside  

Detail of toilet model
Detail of toilet model  
Hi,  we have TOTO 2 piece toilet with 1.6 gallon flush.  It is at least 8 years old as it came in the house when we purchased it.  We are on city water.  The toilet has worked just fine until a week or 2 ago when it started to be "sluggish" in response to our attempt to flush.  When I opened the tank I found that the flapper was opening only upon strain on the tank lever which was plastic.  I replaced that the tank lever with a metal one, but it only bent when we attempted to flush.  Upon further inspection I discovered that there seemed to be significant suction or vacuum holding the flapper closed when I opened it more directly by pulling the chain.  I found no evidence of leaking water anywhere.  I removed the flapper and cleaned it and the opening it controls making sure that it could move freely other than the "suction" hold.  When the supply was turned off and the tank emptied the flapper/tank lever mechanism worked fine.  The tank fills to the same level it always has.  I have tried every angle of chain connection possible.  The chain does not have much slack and it made no difference when I varied that slack.  There are two other toilets in the house.  Both are 4 year old Kohler models.  They work just fine.  This toilet is on the second floor (as is one of the Kohlers).  Thank you for taking my question/problem which is "what do I need to do to make the toilet function normally?"

Answer
First, very carefully inspect the flush valve (this is the plastic part that the flapper seals against) something, either the flapper or the valve or both has deteriorated to the point that the flapper sticks too tight against the valve. At least change the flapper (they generally should be replaced every couple of years as normal maintenance) and then verify if it releases much easier than the current one. If it does then you have solved the problem and if it does not you will need to replace the flush valve too.
As long as there is water in the bowl there is no evidence of a mysterious vacuum being the problem or else it would have emptied the bowl.
You will of course need a new push button and flush arm and i think you said you had a metal one. Just remember that the flush handles are tightened to the tank with a left-handed nut.

Plumbing in the Home

Cortez (cort) Cate