Plumbing in the Home/delta faucet kurled cap stuck

I need to replace the seat and spring for a delta faucet single handle.dripping.....the kurled cap is stuck and I cannot loosen it. I was able to take off the adjusting ring.
I tried soaking it and wrapped the cap thread area with in hot vinegar for days and nothing happened after tried to turn . i have hard water mineral buildup.....I afraid to put excessive force on it since it may break or turn the whole body. any ideas appreciated. thanks

Hi Bob,
Tough one!  I've had this problem and usually managed to trash the nut. You could try tightening it a bit first. sometimes this breaks the corrosion loose but not always. You've tried all the fixes I know short of splitting the nut and getting a new one from Delta. have you talked to Delta Customer Service?

If you need immediate assistance, call the Delta Help Line at 1‑800‑345‑DELTA (3358).

The Delta Help Line is available:
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. EST
Saturday 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. EST

You can also mail us at:

Delta Faucet Company
55 E. 111th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46280

Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal