Plumbing in the Home/Pipe for outside faucet

Question
Hi. Hopefully this question will be both easy to answer and detailed enough.  

I live in Missouri (cold winters). I want to replace one of my outside faucets. Due to the position of the house and landscaping, the faucet is about 7-8 feet off the ground (its supply pipe runs along the basement ceiling joists... or are those 1st floor joists? whatever).

What I want to do is end up with the faucet at a more useable height (say, 3 feet off the ground). To do that, I was wondering if I could run the supply pipe from the basement ceiling through the basement wall (through the existing hole, which is 7-8 feet off the ground), then down the outside of the wall (the wall is concrete) to the 3-foot level. To THAT, I am assuming I would need a different kind of pipe (not standard copper) for the outside portion. (Also I recognize this pipe would have to be clamped to the outside wall). Is that doable? I'd really rather not run the pipe down the INSIDE of the basement wall and punch another hole through to the outside, but if that's the only "right" way, then so be it.

Also of note: There is a shutoff valve already installed inside the basement, about 4-5 feet in from the wall, on that faucet's supply pipe. So I could use that to shut off water to the faucet in the winter and not risk freezing pipes (right?).

Thanks in advance!

Answer
Sure, it is all doable. If you want to use copper it is supposed to be Type "L" if it is exposed. Type "L" is a heavier wall thickness than Type "M" (commonly used inside residential plumbing walls "un-exposed") but some places have already used the heavier Type "L" required for commercial building and exposed locations in residential buildings. In your case if it is only the hose bibb being served there are much cheaper material that will be okay for a hose bibb line.
It seems strange that there is a shut-off valve serving only the outside hose-bibb. Perhaps that was the original intention (freeze protection). There are multiple ways to strap the pipe to the concrete. Check at your local hardware store as they will have everything you need.

Plumbing in the Home

Cortez (cort) Cate