Plumbing in the Home/Knocking Sound

OK. When I turn on my double-handle kitchen faucet, there is a loud knocking noise. However, when I hold the hose under the sprayer to one side, the noise stops. I replaced the sprayer and that did not resolve the issue. In fact, it made it worse as the sprayer leaked from the hose area. Please help.

Hello Richard,
It sounds like the diverter for the sprayer is malfunctioning. It is turning off and on rapidly, called chattering, and causing this loud knocking noise you are hearing.

When you said you replace the sprayer, what part of it did you replace? The entire thing including the hose or just the spray head?
If you look under the sink where the hose actually attaches under the faucet there should be a small fitting there between where the hose screws on in the tube that sticking out of the bottom of the fixture. This is the diverter. Its function is to turn off the water to the spout and divert all of the flow to the spray head.  If the water to the spout does not turn off when you use a sprayer, the diverter is not working properly and needs to be cleaned or replaced.

If you can determine the make of the faucet, try contacting the customer service department for that company and they will guide you on how to do so and or provide you with the needed part.

Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal