Plumbing in the Home/Vibration in water lines

Hi Carolyn,
I hope you can help with my problem.My wife & I purchased a ranch home with full basement 2yrs ago.The house was built in 2000, so I know age has nothing to do with it.We started having a problem with a very loud rhythmic vibration coming from the main water line that feeds into the the basement.I tried bleeding the system of air a few times, but once the water was turned back on,after a while the noise resumed.I called the water company and they came out and installed a new meter, as I was told the original meter was a 1/2 and I needed 3/4,which they installed.That cured my problem for about 7 mos, and I had them come back out for the same reason.This tech couldn't tell me what the problem was, so thay again replaced the meter, and once again, the vibration went away until now.I am hopeful you may have some idea of what is causing this.The water is not running from any source when this vibration ic occurring.We do have a outdoor sprinkler system, but that has not been used for 2 yrs, and that system is shut off and it's valve regulator is removed.

Hey Tom,
Happy New Year for starters!  I believe what you are experiencing is what is called water hammer due to high water pressure. Do you have a water regulator installed on your main water line coming into the house?  If so, you may just need to adjust it down some and see if the hammering stops, if not then you may need to install some arresters.  Normally an arrester can be installed at the end of the line to prevent this from happening. Based on what size your water line is, you just have to match up the correct arrester for copper or PCV.  Check out these sites, they will explain a lot more. Loose pipes can also cause this so if you can do an inspection you may be able to rule this one out.

I hope this helps and good luck!

This is a long but good explanation of water hammer:

Plumbing in the Home

I have worked in Electrical Engineering for 30 years in power distribution and am now a Senior Electrical & Instrumentation Designer, but I am a handy homeowner more than anything else and have a lot of skills when it comes to home repairs. Bathroom remodeling, flooring, painting, reconditioning old wood items, plumbing, car repairs and troubleshooting most problems. I think of myself more of a teacher than someone that is going to tell you exactly what you have to do, but I will share as much info as I have to help get your problem fixed, so if you are not interested in learning then don't ask me a question or rate me if you don't like my answers. To me, it is all about the journey so lets share the trail for a short ride and see where it takes us! I also want to give thanks to both my Mom, who has passed and my Dad, who raised us with the "Can Do" attitude and instowed such confidence in not only my life but everyone that ever came in contact with them. You can do anything that you set our minds too if only you can break it down into pieces and just tackle one piece at a time, for the rest will fall into place.

My greatest accomplishment was finishing my first bathroom upgrades in my first home which helped me to sell my home is less than 3 days by myself with a For Sale By Owner sign and no more. Plus I got $10,000 more for it in just 4 years of owning it, now that is great equity.

I am CEO and founder of Spirit Heart Therapeutic Riding Center, inc a 501c3 Non Profit for Rescued Horses and At Risk Kids. It is because of my own Mother intervention, who stepped up and shared her own love of horses with me as an at risk child myself that she planted this seed. So this program was created and is her Legacy that I have been so guided to share with those in need. We teach natural horsemanship to both horse and child and I get to watch some pretty amazing things happen. The kids learn to overcome fears, gain confidence, self-esteem and leadership skills where the horses have a chance at a life where they are trained, loved and respected and become a part of something that saves a child looking for a place to belong. If you support my Dream in bringing this program to life then please Donate to the cause and know that you are touching so many lives by doing so. God Bless You!

Nursing School, 1 1/2 years of a 2 year RN program, 1976 US Army, Intelligence School, Image Interpreter, 1977 Thomas Nelson Community College, Mechanical Drafting, 1980 Newport News Shipbuilding, Designer Training Program, 1981 School Of Hard Knocks

Honorable Discharge from US ARMY, Certificate of Achievement for Graduating with Honor's from Military Intelligence School, Ft Huachuca AZ. Award from Planning Research Corporation for a Job Well Done, NASA/Langley. Hand Selected to be an Internal Auditor for an ISO 9000 Certification Program for one of my longest employers, Lockwood Greene, ATL, GA. Multiple Letters of Appreciation.