Plumbing in the Home/Slow Toilet

I live in one side of a duplex. In the last three months, the plumber has had to come out twice. Once because the toilet was backing up into the bath sink and the shower. The other side of the duplex had been having problems too.

The second time, the toilet was clogged. I live alone, and I started using the Scott's 1000 sheets which are highly dissolvable and paper thin (suggested by the plumber).

Now, the toilet is slow. When I flush, it does not do a normal flush. It does kind of a reverse flush meaning that water gushes into the bowl then slowly drains out.

I have plunged, plunged, plunged to no avail (thinking that perhaps something was stuck further down the line).

Yet, every single time I flush, there's water gushing into the bowl, and then it drains. It drains almost all the water out of the bowl and then there is a bubbling or sucking sound. It is not allowing a lot of water in the bowl. So, now when it is finished flushing, I hold down the handle to let more water into the bowl.

This is driving me insane. I put nothing but this thin toilet paper in this bowl - what is going on?

Hey Kathy,
My first thought since you have done the above is that the ports in the toilet may be clogged up under the rim of the seat.  How old is the toilet and do you ever use bowl cleaners or have hard water?  Let me share a site or two with you that may help explain more on just how to clear these, but all you really did to do is get a small nail and poke it into each port under the seat of your toilet and see if this doesn't solve the problem.  These get clogged and prevent the proper water flow.

I hope these help and good luck,

Plumbing in the Home

I have worked in Electrical Engineering for 30 years in power distribution and am now a Senior Electrical & Instrumentation Designer, but I am a handy homeowner more than anything else and have a lot of skills when it comes to home repairs. Bathroom remodeling, flooring, painting, reconditioning old wood items, plumbing, car repairs and troubleshooting most problems. I think of myself more of a teacher than someone that is going to tell you exactly what you have to do, but I will share as much info as I have to help get your problem fixed, so if you are not interested in learning then don't ask me a question or rate me if you don't like my answers. To me, it is all about the journey so lets share the trail for a short ride and see where it takes us! I also want to give thanks to both my Mom, who has passed and my Dad, who raised us with the "Can Do" attitude and instowed such confidence in not only my life but everyone that ever came in contact with them. You can do anything that you set our minds too if only you can break it down into pieces and just tackle one piece at a time, for the rest will fall into place.

My greatest accomplishment was finishing my first bathroom upgrades in my first home which helped me to sell my home is less than 3 days by myself with a For Sale By Owner sign and no more. Plus I got $10,000 more for it in just 4 years of owning it, now that is great equity.

I am CEO and founder of Spirit Heart Therapeutic Riding Center, inc a 501c3 Non Profit for Rescued Horses and At Risk Kids. It is because of my own Mother intervention, who stepped up and shared her own love of horses with me as an at risk child myself that she planted this seed. So this program was created and is her Legacy that I have been so guided to share with those in need. We teach natural horsemanship to both horse and child and I get to watch some pretty amazing things happen. The kids learn to overcome fears, gain confidence, self-esteem and leadership skills where the horses have a chance at a life where they are trained, loved and respected and become a part of something that saves a child looking for a place to belong. If you support my Dream in bringing this program to life then please Donate to the cause and know that you are touching so many lives by doing so. God Bless You!

Nursing School, 1 1/2 years of a 2 year RN program, 1976 US Army, Intelligence School, Image Interpreter, 1977 Thomas Nelson Community College, Mechanical Drafting, 1980 Newport News Shipbuilding, Designer Training Program, 1981 School Of Hard Knocks

Honorable Discharge from US ARMY, Certificate of Achievement for Graduating with Honor's from Military Intelligence School, Ft Huachuca AZ. Award from Planning Research Corporation for a Job Well Done, NASA/Langley. Hand Selected to be an Internal Auditor for an ISO 9000 Certification Program for one of my longest employers, Lockwood Greene, ATL, GA. Multiple Letters of Appreciation.