Plumbing in the Home/Shower clogh in 2 bathrom in basement

Question
Good Morning Dana,

My name is Maria and I have a 2 bathroom in the basement. Every time that I do the laundry and the rinse cycle take place as the water come out from the washer into the wash tub (as normal time) the water come up from the shower drain and it flod the basement. I saw on the internet to put a 1/2 cup of baking soda waiting 1/2 hour and add 1/2 cup of white vinegar then wait 1 hour and add a teacuttle of hot water. I did all of that with the wash tub and the shower drain and it didn't work. I don't know what else to do. Can you please help.

Thanks
Maria

Answer
Hello Maria,
The most likely solution to this problem is to have the drains in the basement professionally rootered out. The vinegar and baking soda routine is more of a maintenance thing.

All of the drains eventually connect together. The shower drains are the lowest drains in the system and there is a clog somewhere past these drains that needs to be cleaned out with a power snake.  Laundry drains are the worst, the water going into these drains contains a lot of lint and soap scum which will build up on the insides of the piping and eventually cause a clog.

One thing that might help is to add a strainer or a screen on the end of the washer drain hose to filter out the lint before it goes down the drain.  You should be able to find a mesh sock that is designed for this purpose.  

Also, try using less detergent.  You will find that the manufacture's recommendations far exceeds the actual amount needed. They have a vested interest in getting you to use more than you really need so you will buy more of their product.  I typically use 1/2 or so of the recommended amount and the wash comes out just fine. (Yes, even as a man, I do my own laundry. LOL)

Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick