Plumbing in the Home/gas left on-help

Question
This might be a strange question.  My mother used my old stove today.  She left the gas on from one of the hubs.  She put it on low and the flame blew out.  This was about 5pm.  After she left, I had a relaxing bath, lit a couple candles and soaked for about 1hr.  I had no idea the gas was on 'til about 6.30pm when I could smell it coming from the kitchen.  I am now plagued with thoughts of 'what if'.  Could there have been an explosion?  My house is a smallish, 3 bedroom (about 15sqm).  It's just me and my dog in the house and he seems to be fine.  I'm airing the place out as we speak, but my main concern is whether we could have burned to death.  
Many thanks

Answer
Yes, that was a possibility.
Fortunately Natural Gas is lighter than air and rises upwards but still the gas can get trapped in any confined space such as the ceiling of a room. If that happens it could be deadly if a spark from an electrical light socket or some other appliance ignited the gas. Hopefully there is a hood over your range as this(your range/oven) is the most likely place for gas to inadvertently escape and the gas will escape through the hood. STILL you should call your gas company and explain what happened. They will give you some safety hints or suggestions.
Propane and/or butane are heavier than air and will fall to the floor thus creating a greater possibility of an explosion as a heavy concentration of gas will accumulate and as soon as it fills enough of the space to reach a standing pilot or any ignition source there will be a catastrophe.
Again, Natural gas is relatively safe but still very dangerous. Propane or Butane is much more dangerous as it will accumulate and not be easily disbursed.
Please take all the precautions you can. Please contact your Gas Company and explain what happened and seek their advice on how this type of situation might be prevented or further mitigated.  

Plumbing in the Home

Cortez (cort) Cate