Plumbing in the Home/sediment

Question
Hello,

I live in Maryland and we use the county water supply.  We have a 4 bedroom colonial signle family house.  

Recently, I have had a problem with sediment buildup restricting water flow in my master bath shower head, kitchen faucet, and another faucet in the master bath.  I've had to clean the shower head 4 times in the last 3 weeks.  The kitchen faucet twice, and the other one just once.  

This is very unusual for us....I normally need to do this only once every couple years in the shower head, and the others less often.  I replaced the shower head and it happened again after a few days.  The other faucets in the house do not appear clogged, but I have not taken them apart.

The sediment is white and can easily be crumbled to fine with my fingers.

Any idea what might be going on?  Thanks!

Answer
Scott, you may be getting calcium and lime deposits from the soften process in your town supply. You can install a whole house filter at your incoming main and with a quality filter cartridge it will alleviate the sediment. If you have an old water heater, sediment build up will be more prevalent and will show up due to the mixing of the fresh cold water in the tank stirring up the  deposits when hot water is being used. You would see it in the shower head first because you use more hot water there.

Plumbing in the Home

Jay Nicholas