Plumbing in the Home/Shower Pan Leakage

Question
Louis The Plumber...

I am about to make the biggest decision of my life…At the age of 54, I am about to buy my first home.
The 46 year-old home is brick home and built on a wooden foundation.
Asking price was $69,900 & the seller has agreed to the asking price of $64,300….Being sold “as-is” which was not in the original MLS listing.
I have already hit one hurdle with having the house rewired by the seller’s son’s construction company & I am paying half of that cost.
There are other little odds and ends that need replacing especially wood-rot which “should be on the seller” per the inspector.
Now, after having the house inspected yesterday, there is a leak in the master bathroom’s shower….the shower pan per the inspector.
The inspector had three ways of looking at this…1st)  The seller needs to fix this since the shower is totally unusable; 2nd)  I can fix this after buying the house @ the tune of up to $2,000 because of how much work it would take to repair/rebuild the shower; or 3rd) Walk away if the seller does not come down in price.
The inspector also made a comment regarding a sealer for the bottom of the shower to see if that would help stop the leakage.
My question is regarding the sealer…Have you ever heard of anything like that?  Is it worth trying?
I have to let everyone know Monday if I am going to continue with this purchase.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Blessings....

Nikki

Answer
53.....and almost ready to buy my first home myself.  I just adore renting though....  Well...my two cents?

Sealer?  NO NO NO.  It is WELL beyond that at this point.  $2,000 about right if not more.  If you live in a depressed area it can be had for that.  In a thriving city like mine, $3500 for a complete re-do, walls and all.  And yes, do the walls and ALL.  Not just a cut up two rows and do the base only.  So if $2,000 for it all, grab that price and run with it!!!

Make SURE they do not use SHEETROCK for the walls, as some do!!!! And make SURE they know what they are doing, forming a new shower base and not having it leak a few years down the road is a REAL SKILL. Don't let Billy Bob have a "go at it"

The seller SHOULD come down on price for something that blatant!!!  Re-wire?  Ok, 1/2 is fair, assuming his son doesn't take cost cutting measures since the house is sold.  Chances are, he is only going to charge 1/2 of the price and mark it up at that, so that his daddy will pay nothing and you will pay it all!!!!  Can almost promise you that...

Make sure it is INSPECTED!!!!  None of this, son, daddy, no one wil know, cuz 5 years from now when you have switches that go bump in the night, no ones going to care but YOU!!!

I think, as ya know, it IS an old house and things are expected to be OLD, that he should split that cost with you too.  50/50.  If he doesn't, then walk away...that will get his attention.

You have to ask yourself this, if it needs a re-wire and the shower floor is about to cave in.....what ELSE is going on you don't know about.....

Plumbing in the Home

Louie The Plumber