Plumbing in the Home/installing a flexible tub drain

Question
Hi! I want to put a clawfoot tub in an existing shower stall. The problem is that the tub drain is near the end of the tub and the shower drain is in the middle of the stall floor.I want to change the existing stall as little as possible (I canuse the existing faucets/shower head) so I can take the tub with me if I move. I need to connect the 2 drains and thought of the idea of a flexible drain pipe.I haven't decided on a tub with an overflow or a tub without an overflow.
I appreciate your input!

Answer
Hi Alan,
I suppose since the tub is IN the shower stall which has a 4" curb, it would not be a big deal to just drain it directly into the shower pan that is already there. The shower drain has a trap below the floor already.

Free-standing claw foot type tubs actually drain straight down from the waste & overflow pipe and have their traps UNDER the floor.  You would need to provide access in the ceiling below if on an upper floor. You would also need to make a hole in the tile and shower pan to do it properly. This would require replacement of the shower floor tile and pan if you want to remove the tub and convert back to a shower.

Technically, flex trains are not legal or code approved.

Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick