Plumbing in the Home/Roots in sewer pipe

Question
Hello: I just spent almost $4,000 digging up a floor drain pipe which was packed with tree roots.The pipe is cast iron,and was rotten.The plumbers had quite a time finding sound pipe to attach replacement PVC to.What would you recommend to prevent root problems in the future? I have ordered some copper sulphate to pour into the toilets to keep roots at bay.Your thoughts please,and thanks!

Answer
Hi Michael,
The best solution is to get rid of the root producer(s) or at least minimize the trees shrubs that are in the near vicinity of the sewer systems.
As an ongoing maintenance program I used to recommend flushing a can of rock salt (as used in water softeners) down the toilet at least weekly and biweekly or more if you know roots are present. Some jurisdictions however now prohibit salt introduction to the sewer systems so you should check with your agency first. Most public works agencies will tell you what works best in your area. Of course if you have a water softening system (that uses salt) installed and working; it's normal operation generally mitigates the root problem as an unheralded benefit of a water softener.
You are already aware that the cast-iron (at least the horizontal in ground portion)is very thin and going to get worse. If you have not replaced all of it I would certainly plan on doing that in the future and schedule it as soon as practical for your own situation. I am just reminding you to be prepared as well as you can because it will be necessary in time.
I have no first hand knowledge of the copper sulphate.  

Plumbing in the Home

Cortez (cort) Cate