You are here:

Plumbing in the Home/Trying to identify or find a P-trap




My condo built in the early 80's has a p-trap in the bathroom that needs replacing. The PVC nut that attaches it to the pipe from the wall cracked and unfortunately, the nuts on the ones now at Home Depot and Lowes are just a little too large on the inside diameter of the opening, as it slides right over the stop on my old p-trap. I'll add a picture hopefully to clarify this. The staff at the two stores above said that the p-trap I have they don't carry this. It would be easiest if I can find an exact replacement, otherwise, I'll need to open up the wall to redo the PVC plumbing because there isn't enough to cut and repair.

Any idea what company manufactured this, what the tapered end fitting is called and most importantly, where I can get a replacement?

That's the problem with big box stores, they only carry "one-size-fits-all" stuff. Might be a local actual plumbing supply that has a better selection.

This is actually called a "J" bend, a portion of a P-Trap.  I'm not a big fan of plastic, too brittle after a few years.

You might be able to find a "trap adapter" and a new trombone style trap. The trap adapter looks like this
It can be found in both hub or spigot (male or female) versions.  If you have enough stub left, you should be able to glue one on and uses a trap that has an extension that fits into the slip joint and can be cut to length as needed.  If this is a lavatory sink, the tailpiece down from the sink will be 1-1/4' and everything else will be 1-1/2". If it's a kitchen sink, it's all 1-1/2".
Good Luck

Plumbing in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dana Bostick


Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.


Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Awards and Honors
Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Past/Present Clients
Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal

©2017 All rights reserved.