Plumbing in the Home/big air pocket at end of flush

Question
I have a concrete floor. At the end of the flush a big air pocket comes up in toilet. It is a 24x24 building in the country and I did the plumbing myself. It has one bathroom and kitchen sink. I have been using this plumbing for six years without any problems. I did not put a vent pipe in because I plain forgot about it. Could I put a vent pipe outside on my 4" waste line?

Answer
Hi hal,
You could try, it might help.  Without a vent the drainage flow slows down due to a vacuum being generated and is more likely to deposit out the solids inside the pipe rather than flush them all the way to the end into a septic or sewer system.  The standard is that the total sq in of venting should be equal to the sq in of the waste.  So a 4" waste line would require a 4" vent.

I'm not sure how effective an "after thought" vent is going to be but it's got to be better than no vent.

Good Luck
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick