Plumbing in the Home/diy water supply

Question
Dear Mr. Taylor-I have a small camp in a rural area which has no running water. I am trying to build a simple rainwater collection system.

Downstairs, I want to install a small sink with a faucet. Above the sink, I would like to install a 5-gallon plastic bucket to serve as a simple gravity feed water supply to the sink below. I want to drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket and attach a fitting so that I can run a flexible tube to the faucet.

My question is the following: What kind of fitting would I use for this? What is it called? And how big a hole should I drill in the bottom of the bucket for the fitting? thank you , Mark Palermo

Answer
The fitting is called a Bulkhead fitting.  They are used on Boats etc.  Just do a Google search for them, I'm sure you will be able to find one easily.  The size should be about 1/2".  Gravity will supply .433 pounds of pressure for each vertical foot.

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor