Plumbing in the Home/diy water supply


Dear Mr. Taylor-I have a small camp in a rural area which has no running water. I am trying to build a simple rainwater collection system.

Downstairs, I want to install a small sink with a faucet. Above the sink, I would like to install a 5-gallon plastic bucket to serve as a simple gravity feed water supply to the sink below. I want to drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket and attach a fitting so that I can run a flexible tube to the faucet.

My question is the following: What kind of fitting would I use for this? What is it called? And how big a hole should I drill in the bottom of the bucket for the fitting? thank you , Mark Palermo

The fitting is called a Bulkhead fitting.  They are used on Boats etc.  Just do a Google search for them, I'm sure you will be able to find one easily.  The size should be about 1/2".  Gravity will supply .433 pounds of pressure for each vertical foot.

Plumbing in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bob Tabor


I am a Water Well Driller and Water Pump technician. I own a business in Riverview, Fl. We repair motors and pumps in shop and in the field. We repair and replace submersible and jet pumps, galvanized and bladder tanks, and their controls. Water filtration is another one of our specialties.


I started drilling and repairing wells and pumps with my dad in 1958 at the age of 13 years. I worked with him on weekends and in the summer when not in school. After graduating high school, I worked for my Dad until going into the Army in 1968. I spent three years in the Army then went back into the Well Drilling/Repair field.

Many Forums including my own.

High school and a few courses after getting out of the Army. They were offered on the GI Bill.

©2017 All rights reserved.