Plumbing in the Home/Shower drain pipe color

Hi!  Today the installers finished installing the cover and tiling our remodeled shower.  Through the openings in the new brushed nickel drain cover, the white 2.5 inch drain pipe is clearly visible. It looks awful, especially against the gorgeous green glass and natural stone tiled floor.  The installer said this awful looking white pipe will change color over time and we will not notice it.  Is this true?  With two adults showering daily, how long will this take?  We live in a large metropolitan city and our water comes from a nearby reservoir.  Thank you!

Hi Elizabeth,
Hmmn! I have never heard this problem presented before but let's see if we can find a solution.
Basically the drain pipe will be either white (as yours is) or black. If black would cure your visual dilemma then just take the drain cover off and mask around and spray paint some paint that adheres well to plastic and problem cured. Actually you do have a choice of colors available...perhaps green. Sounds like the brushed nickle drain cover is the slotted type and the visibility is much greater than with the type of drain that has square (about 1/4" square) holes instead of slots which perhaps you could find and change or perhaps even put a screen or something directly beneath the cover as long as it will not slip down the drain.
As for the changing of color----think about that one...the change of color will be a build up of soap residue and dirt so I don't see that as an option. Means you can't clean the drain pipe. It is a good practice to remove the cover and clean the inside of the tail piece (aka drain pipe) frequently. I think most folks do that.
Just give it some thought and you will come up with a good solution. Actually getting a more restrictive drain cover I suspect is what you really need.
good luck, cort

Plumbing in the Home

Cortez (cort) Cate

PLEASE read this entire introduction. I have been doing this for a long time and I have come to the conclusion that if you are not willing to take the time to write a detailed question then don't expect a detailed solution! I am getting far to many questions that do not give enough detail to warrant a good solution. I realize it is a little difficult to formulate a good question but if you want a good answer you have to give me good this entire introduction please....remember this website is world wide I have no clue where you live if you don't tell give more detail on the fixture you are having problems with...a one piece eljer 3.5 gallon flush will be totally different than a one-gallon flush toto.....details are important. I can answer most questions related to residential and commercial plumbing for many buildings. I have sufficient knowledge of the UPC and UMC. I will speculate for you if necessary. In those cases I will try to give you some guidance and you should use that to refine the question further and we, together, can seek the answer via a follow up. Plumbing codes and practices vary around the world--If you don't tell me where you live the answer I give may not fit your locality. I am giving my time to you as a way of fulfilling my perceived obligation to share. I am here to try to help you find a solution to your problem. REMEMBER, If you want a good answer you need to ask a detailed question and include where you live, type of pipes, type of building, water pressure if it is a water problem, type of heater, age of appliance & building all these and many more are variables that have an effect on various situations. Detailed information will help produce a better answer.

Since 1972 a California licensed B-1 General Building Contractor, C-36 Plumbing and C-16 Fire Sprinkler Contractor; also installing and servicing Heating, Air Conditioning and Sheet Metal operating as C and C Building and Plumbing, California State License 279516. In 1995 I downsized the company to become semi-retired. Still I remain active in the construction industry. As head of a company I placed personnel and job safety as the number one objective followed closely by training and continuing education. Always seeking to stay informed of leading edge technology in the industry. Also I have spent several years as an Apprenticeship Instructor in the Pipe Trades Unions. Additionally I am a certified OSHA instructor.

United Association of Plumbers and Steamfitters Instruction Training, Ann Arbor, MI Bakersfield College, Bakersfield CA Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo, CA Foothill College, Los Altos, CA California Licensed Contractor from 1971