Plumbing in the Home/Varying water pressure

I have a private well with a submersible pump. The water tank is in the craw space under the house.  My pressure varies from low to normal about every 10 second. If I am taking a shower it will be cold (less hot water) at normal pressure and at low pressure (even hot and cold water). Other than that the water system works fine. I am in 23821 area code (Southern Virginia).

Hi Lawrence,

there are several variables that affect the water pressure from a well and they all evolve around the type of system you have. from what you have said i would assume the well only supplies your single family residence. Then i assume the tank you refer to is a small pressure tank. If the variance in pressure is a change from some other time then likely you have a pressure tank problem and should call someone local that is familiar with your system.
if you would like to give me all the details relevant to your water system i may be able to offer some help but my best guess is that you have a water logged pressure tank with the bladder likely ruptured but that is only a guess as you have not given enough information to go any further...
Good Luck, cort

Plumbing in the Home

Cortez (cort) Cate

PLEASE read this entire introduction. I have been doing this for a long time and I have come to the conclusion that if you are not willing to take the time to write a detailed question then don't expect a detailed solution! I am getting far to many questions that do not give enough detail to warrant a good solution. I realize it is a little difficult to formulate a good question but if you want a good answer you have to give me good this entire introduction please....remember this website is world wide I have no clue where you live if you don't tell give more detail on the fixture you are having problems with...a one piece eljer 3.5 gallon flush will be totally different than a one-gallon flush toto.....details are important. I can answer most questions related to residential and commercial plumbing for many buildings. I have sufficient knowledge of the UPC and UMC. I will speculate for you if necessary. In those cases I will try to give you some guidance and you should use that to refine the question further and we, together, can seek the answer via a follow up. Plumbing codes and practices vary around the world--If you don't tell me where you live the answer I give may not fit your locality. I am giving my time to you as a way of fulfilling my perceived obligation to share. I am here to try to help you find a solution to your problem. REMEMBER, If you want a good answer you need to ask a detailed question and include where you live, type of pipes, type of building, water pressure if it is a water problem, type of heater, age of appliance & building all these and many more are variables that have an effect on various situations. Detailed information will help produce a better answer.

Since 1972 a California licensed B-1 General Building Contractor, C-36 Plumbing and C-16 Fire Sprinkler Contractor; also installing and servicing Heating, Air Conditioning and Sheet Metal operating as C and C Building and Plumbing, California State License 279516. In 1995 I downsized the company to become semi-retired. Still I remain active in the construction industry. As head of a company I placed personnel and job safety as the number one objective followed closely by training and continuing education. Always seeking to stay informed of leading edge technology in the industry. Also I have spent several years as an Apprenticeship Instructor in the Pipe Trades Unions. Additionally I am a certified OSHA instructor.

United Association of Plumbers and Steamfitters Instruction Training, Ann Arbor, MI Bakersfield College, Bakersfield CA Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo, CA Foothill College, Los Altos, CA California Licensed Contractor from 1971