Plumbing in the Home/bathtub drain

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dana,

I have a bathtub plug that I can't remove.  I believe it is called "lift and twist" type.  In the on-suite bathtub which is the same, it comes off by having the plug down and twisting counter-clockwise and the plug comes off. In the main bathroom, the plug won't stay up like it's supposed to and just keeps turning when I try to twist it to remove it.  I have to block it with an object to have a shower or else the tub fills with water.

The fittings in the tub are Moen brand

Advice on how to remove will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Leah

ANSWER: Hi Robert,
Yes, these can be a real pain to deal with. I think Moen may have redesigned these and there is a new method for removing them. Rather than trying to "spin" it off, I have added a Phillips type screw that can be loosened so that the drain plug can be lifted out.

Check this YouTube video: http://youtu.be/Jydxqi2FTeU which shows how to do this.

Hope this helps,
Dana

QUESTION: HI Dana,

The plug is the type that spins off, I can't replace it with anything until I can get it off.  How do I get the continually spinning plug to come off, I think maybe the threads are stripped?

Answer
The only way I've ever been able to get those off is by using "inertia". That is spinning it counterclockwise very quickly with my thumb and forefinger. I even tried winding string around it and spining it like a top. It may be just stuck on there by mineral buildup or corrosion. In my opinion, it's a crappy design and I can see why they changed it.
Good luck, Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick