Plumbing in the Home/bathtub drain

I have a bathtub plug that I can't remove.  I believe it is called "lift and twist" type.  In the on-suite bathtub which is the same, it comes off by having the plug down and twisting counter-clockwise and the plug comes off. In the main bathroom, the plug won't stay up like it's supposed to and just keeps turning when I try to twist it to remove it.  I have to block it with an object to have a shower or else the tub fills with water.

The fittings in the tub are Moen brand

Advice on how to remove will be appreciated.

ANSWER: Hi Robert,
Yes, these can be a real pain to deal with. I think Moen may have redesigned these and there is a new method for removing them. Rather than trying to "spin" it off, I have added a Phillips type screw that can be loosened so that the drain plug can be lifted out.

Check this YouTube video: which shows how to do this.

Hope this helps,

The plug is the type that spins off, I can't replace it with anything until I can get it off.  How do I get the continually spinning plug to come off, I think maybe the threads are stripped?

The only way I've ever been able to get those off is by using "inertia". That is spinning it counterclockwise very quickly with my thumb and forefinger. I even tried winding string around it and spining it like a top. It may be just stuck on there by mineral buildup or corrosion. In my opinion, it's a crappy design and I can see why they changed it.
Good luck, Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal