Plumbing in the Home/fluttering toilet valve

The fill valve on my hall toilet flutters even though it has not been flushed nor is it leaking into the bowl.  I turned on the adjacent shower and it did the same thing. The flow was rapidly intermittent.  This is happening almost continuously but will stop and not start again for days.

Hello Bill,
This can be a sign of several things; Excessive water pressure or the fill valve is just worn or has debris stuck on the seat where the valve seals to stop the water flow.

Many fill valves can be disassembled and cleaned. If yours is one, that might be an option. If it is not easily disassembled, DIY replacement is fairly simple and the valves themselves are not very expensive, typically around $20 or less for a new Fluid master A 400.  Note: you do not have to replace the original ball cock style (the type with a float on the end of an arm) with the same style. A Fluidmaster is an acceptable replacement and most manufacturers now use them as original equipment.

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal