Plumbing in the Home/fluttering toilet valve

Question
The fill valve on my hall toilet flutters even though it has not been flushed nor is it leaking into the bowl.  I turned on the adjacent shower and it did the same thing. The flow was rapidly intermittent.  This is happening almost continuously but will stop and not start again for days.

Answer
Hello Bill,
This can be a sign of several things; Excessive water pressure or the fill valve is just worn or has debris stuck on the seat where the valve seals to stop the water flow.

Many fill valves can be disassembled and cleaned. If yours is one, that might be an option. If it is not easily disassembled, DIY replacement is fairly simple and the valves themselves are not very expensive, typically around $20 or less for a new Fluid master A 400.  Note: you do not have to replace the original ball cock style (the type with a float on the end of an arm) with the same style. A Fluidmaster is an acceptable replacement and most manufacturers now use them as original equipment.
Best,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick