Plumbing in the Home/Hot Water Heater Drip Pan

Question
My home has a run of cpvc from a hookup for a dehumidifier that runs directly into the drip pan for the hot water heater.  I see no signs of damage or rust, but wanted to see if this is (practically rather than code) a good idea or if I need to extend the connection.  Water heater is about 8 years old, connection looks newer.

Answer
hi Kris,
I am not too familiar with dehumidifiers and the code will vary with jurisdictions. The only problem i see with this hookup is that one might mistake the water heater as being a leaker if observed the water in the pan. The water heater pan is not designed to collect from any other source and that is quite specific to the intent of the code although it may not be clearly defined.
Of course the dehumidifier will have some liquid to dispose of and normally and preferably that water should go to the outside of the building in that it is perfectly good water and would not harm plants or animals. Like I said above I don't know all about dehumidifiers and the statement i made is strictly my personal opinion and should be verified by some other source in that there may be some contamination from the coils and I am not aware of that. At any rate the smitty pan (water heater pan) is not designed or intended to have any other source dumping into it. It could cause one to condemn a good heater.
sorry i cannot help more.
cort

Plumbing in the Home

Cortez (cort) Cate