Plumbing in the Home/jetted tub?

Question
Dana
We have a small bath downstairs we are slowly renovating.I would like to replace the existing standard tub with a deep jetted or whirlpool tub. I visit the neighbourhood civic leisure centre once a week just to sit in the hot tub and enjoy the jets to relax my aching muscles. Would a small home tub serve the same purpose? Any suggestions on models or brands? I realise it might be better suited for a bigger bathroom, but our main bath already has a nice big tub we are happy with, and recently installed grab bars on the walls. Thanks!

Answer
High Bud,
This is certainly possible, the only consideration is the space you have available. There also conversion systems that can turn an existing tub into a spa tub.
http://www.surfacespecialists.com/jetting_of_tubs.htm
http://www.whirlbathe.com/

There are a few things that need to be added in to accommodate a spa tub. Your contractor should know about these. I highly suggest you increase the size of the supply piping to at least recorder inch for the hot and cold all the way to the tub or the water will be cold by the time the tub is full. You will also need electrical power, protected by a GFCI to run the spa motor.
Since there is both mechanical and electrical equipment involved, you must provide access to service and/or replace it so that is a consideration as to placement.

Typically, the actual motor assembly/pump is located on the opposite end from the drain and faucets but if you use a "drop in" style to you can build in any configuration you wish.

There used to be a Japanese-style, super deep soaking tub but I'm not able to find one anymore. They were only about 4 feet in diameter but they were also about 4 feet deep. Now that's a soaking tub!

There are many brands available, Jacuzzi is a brand-name that often gets used as a generic term for a spa tub with Jets. Jacuzzi is just one of the brands.

Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick