Plumbing in the Home/Removing caulk

Hi Dana-

Re-caulking a tub/shower/surround and was wondering the best way to remove the old caulk. This is the 3rd time and I think the new caulk is isn't sticking due to a "film" of old caulk that I can't remove with just scrubbing. Is there a special cleaner that I should use to clean so the new caulk will stick?

Hi Jim,
Cleaning up is not really my forte, just ask my wife! LOL That being said, I will defer to others more knowledgeable about this. This is what I found...

It seems that there is a product or two out there to help remove caulk. Who knew?

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal