Plumbing in the Home/sump pump

I believe my sump pump is running. I have lived in my house for 14 years and never heard it run. It sounds like someone snoring really loud. I know that sounds strange but that is the only way I could think of to describe the sound. I have a crawl space & went to check the sump pump, no water in the crawl space. we have had quite a bit of rain in the last week and now during the night and this morning we are having heavy rain. I can hear the sound through my washing machine drain, sounds like water gurgling through the drain.  I have never had problems with water the entire 14 years I have lived in my house. Want to know if this is the way my sump pump is supposed to work and sound? thanks.

From the info you gave, I would think it's pumping the heavy rain out of your sump pit.  If it's that loud though, the pump may be worn out and needing replacement.  If you don't know what kind of damage the water could do without the pump, it would be a good idea to have it checked out.

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor

I am a Water Well Driller and Water Pump technician. I own a business in Riverview, Fl. We repair motors and pumps in shop and in the field. We repair and replace submersible and jet pumps, galvanized and bladder tanks, and their controls. Water filtration is another one of our specialties.

I started drilling and repairing wells and pumps with my dad in 1958 at the age of 13 years. I worked with him on weekends and in the summer when not in school. After graduating high school, I worked for my Dad until going into the Army in 1968. I spent three years in the Army then went back into the Well Drilling/Repair field.

Many Forums including my own.

High school and a few courses after getting out of the Army. They were offered on the GI Bill.